How to do Cookies Testing - Software Testing Stuff
Below is a list of major scenarios for cookies testing of a website. Multiple test cases can be generated from
these scenarios by performing various combinations.
- Check if the application is writing cookies properly or not.
- Test to make sure that no personal or sensitive data is stored in the cookie. If it is there in cookies, it should be in encrypted format.
- Close all browsers windows and manually delete all cookies. Navigate various web pages and check and see if these web pages show unexpected behavior.
- Edit few cookies manually in notepad or some other editor. Make modifications like alter the cookie content, name of the cookie, change expiry date etc. Now, test the site functionality. Corrupted cookies should not allow to read the data inside it.
- Cookies written by one web site should not be accessible by other website.
- If you are testing an online shopping portal, Check if reaching to your final order summary page deletes the cookie of previous page of shopping cart properly and no invalid action or purchase got executed from same logged in user.
- Check if the application under test is writing the cookies properly on different browsers as intended and site works properly using these cookies. This test can be done on browsers like different versions of internet explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Netscape, Opera etc.
- If the application under test is using cookies to maintain the logging state for users. Check if some id is being displayed in the address bar. Now, change the id & press enter. It should display an access denied message and and you should not be able to see other user's account.