Here is proof that software testing is one with a rapid growth rate across the globe!
Demand for software test professionals is increasing around the globe, in line with the rapid growth of global demand for software testing services.
- Malaysia too is starting to experience a similar phenomenon as the country continues to develop its software testing industry through the Malaysia Software Testing Hub (MSTH) initiative.
- Being a software test professional requires specialised skills, particularly at the higher-end of the practice where strong domain knowledge also becomes an essential success factor, and being in a highly on-demand vocation, the career can be rewarding.
- The Malaysian Software Testing Board (MSTB) promote software tester as a viable career among existing software professionals as well as university students in the software engineering and other information technology (IT) fields.
- A Technavio Insights report, published in 2012 by United Kingdom-based Infiniti Research, had highlighted that the global outsourced software testing service market was growing rapidly and hence, there was a growing demand for skilled labour (in the discipline).
- However, there is a shortage of such skilled professionals to meet the demand. The report cited that India, for example, was expected to face a shortage of 39,000 to 41,000 skilled workers in the next few years.
- The current educational system does not meet the required standards and demand of the market.
- It has become very important for software testing engineers to have comprehensive knowledge of the business domain and thereby have complete understanding of the clients’ businesses.
- In a strategic move to mitigate this, MSTB has introduced the Q-College Corp (Q-CC) programme which aims to produce industry-ready professional testers, through ‘accelerated industrial grooming’, from among suitable qualified fresh graduates and working professionals in other disciplines but are keen to develop a career in software testing and software quality assurance.