Skillset - Test Automation Architect
Top level technical expert with extensive business knowledge responsible for supporting a major application or suite of applications within an IT Section
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Following is a summary of the essential functions for this job. Other duties may be performed, both major and minor, which are not mentioned below. Specific activities may change from time to time.
1. Work as a technical/business consultant with clients, analysts, programmers, and team members to solve complex business problems; including development of feasibility studies, project plans, cost/benefits, alternative solutions, resource requirements, and project estimates.
2. Develop detailed specifications from which complex systems/subsystems/programs will be written.
3. Instruct, direct, and quality assure the work of other programmers and analysts.
4. Stay abreast of the latest technology architecture and “best practices” in the technology marketplace.
Required Skills and Competencies:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology related curriculum or equivalent work experience
2. Eight to ten years of experience in application design and programming
3. Working knowledge of PC applications such as Microsoft Office
4. Ability to work independently or as a member of a team
5. Ability to train others
6. Ability to travel as needed
SPECIFIC POSITION DESCRIPTION:
- Top-level technical test automation expert with extensive progressive knowledge and skills in the area of automated test design and execution using various test automation frameworks
- Coordinates with the QA Lead to facilitate the gathering and documenting of test automation objectives and requirements for input into Automation Strategy and Design approach
- Documents test automation requirements and other test planning artifacts in preparation for test automation design
- Designs and develops test automation artifacts (scripts, functions, scenarios, processes) for simple to complex automated testing situations using various tools (primarily HP Quick Test Pro / Quality Center).
- Has expert level understanding of complete test automation and various test automation frameworks (i.e. data driven, keyword driven, table driven, hybrid, etc.)
- Collects, organizes, and analyzes statistical information from a variety of sources (both technical i.e. web logs, and non-technical i.e. product management interviews) to support high-quality test design
- Designs, executes, monitors, and troubleshoots HP QTP automated tests in a variety of situations and conditions
- Works collaboratively with other departments to understand project objectives, gather automation requirements, design automated tests, troubleshoot issues, and implement scalable test automation solutions
- Analyzes statistical results for baselines, trends, and anomalies to facilitate problem solving, application improvements, and reporting. Contributes ideas and recommends action based on that analysis.
- Manages automated testing artifacts to ensure proper reuse, versioning, backups, organization and retention.
- Coordinates and facilitates test automation planning, design and execution sessions.
- Constantly evaluates test automation strategy and approach to identify areas of improvement (i.e. test automation frameworks, dynamic data collection methodologies, coding standards, components and object repository methods, etc.)
- Trains and mentors other departmental resources on the proper selection, design and implementation of various Test Automation Frameworks, Tools and Strategies
- Compiles test results data, prepares and reports test results both formally and informally
- Makes performance and process improvement recommendations as needed
- Communicates results information to technical and non-technical audiences
- Interfaces as needed with the Section Manager or Team Lead to report status
60% - Test automation architecture – defining frameworks, methodologies, strategies and approaches, driving improvements in test automation, expanding and growing automation team
30% - Oversight and leadership of assigned Test Automation Analyst resources (both FTE and Contractors)
10% - Career development and expansion of knowledge in business and technical areas
Desired Skills & ExperiencePosition Requirements:
- Candidate should be a high-performing test automation expert, preferably using HP Quick Test Pro and HP Quality Center, having the ability to train and mentor other automation analysts on the effective design and implementation of various test automation frameworks as needed.
- Minimum of 10 years of progressive test automation experience, preferably using Mercury WinRunner/HP QTP
- Advanced experience with driving test automation through the use of HP Quality Center
- Advanced experience and competency using standard test automation methodologies and direct scripting and coding in HP QTP such as Linear Scripting and Structured Scripting
- Advanced experience and competency using various test automation frameworks such as Data Driven, Table Driven, Keyword Drive, Hybrid
- Advanced knowledge of test automation tools, frameworks, design approaches, and effective implementation techniques
- Advanced experience working with highly complex target application environments (i.e. combination of client, web, middleware, database, mainframe, third-parties, etc)
- Strong technical and testing skills - Knowledge of various software testing strategies and approaches
- Requires little supervision, self-starter that can work independently and collaboratively, while remaining effective at reporting status on tasks daily
- Very detail oriented
- Strong communication skills - Ability to communicate and document status and complex issues effectively
- Strong documentation skills – Ability to create clear, concise, detailed project artifacts that meet the standards of the Testing Center of Excellence and Software Quality Management process
- Illustrated experience and competency with at least one programming and/or scripting language – preferably Java/C# and VBScript or Perl
- Experience with testing applications that make heavy use of web services, Pega and Tibco technologies
- Experience with technologies such as IIS, Apache, Websphere, XML, XSLT, etc
- Knowledge and experience with distributed systems, web application technologies, web services, and multi-layered architectures.
- Knowledge and experience using Windows tools and utilities – some experience with UNIX/AIX tools is a plus
- Knowledge and experience with multiple relational database systems – primarily DB2 and SQL Server.
- Some knowledge and experience with IBM mainframe systems as they relate to end-to-end testing
- Knowledge of various environmental elements as they relate to testing (i.e. networking, hardware, software, mid-tier, etc.), and the ability to effectively assist with troubleshooting as needed