Setup github within a company's firewall
If you have installed gitbash or windows git setup and are getting the 443 or 407 errors everytime you clone you are on the right post:
Steps to solve the issue:
- You will need to update the git config with proxy settings
- To do this find your proxy and port using this post here : http://superuser.com/questions/346372/how-do-i-know-what-proxy-server-im-using
- Alternatively you can also look at the proxy settings/LAN settings to find this http://wpad.[domain]/wpad.dat
- Paste http://wpad.[domain]/wpad.dat in the browser and you will have a text file in which you can find the proxy:port for all domains used by your company
- In your gitbash run this command :
- git config --global http.proxy http[s]://userName:password@proxyaddress:port
- git config --global http.sslverify false
- If you get this error - could not resolve proxy some@proxyaddress:port. It's your password having an @ symbol in it.
- Encode @ in your password to %40 because git splits the proxy setting by @
git config --global http.proxy http[s]://userName:password(encoded)@proxyaddress:port
That's your solution right there!
It never felt so good to clone repos before this :)